Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I feel Funny.

Three and a half hours on the road. And now we're off. And I'm sitting at my desk and the familiarity of the internet is strangely (and somewhat shamefully) comforting. And I think it's due to the fact that for the past two hours I've been reading "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. Before that I finished the last chapter of "The Call of the Wild" by London. Yes! I found a Dover thrift edition in the book store in Lancaster. For months I've been in agony over the ending of the book because I listened to the audio book from Librivox.org and the world's most annoying audio-book reader decided she'd sign on for the last chapter. It was awful. I couldn't listen. So, finally Buck's story has reached a close in my heart.

And I'm excited for when I can say the same about Odd Thomas. I definitely get very into what I read. And this book is just straaange. I appreciate the style it's written in. I like that on-the-nose writing that Koontz works in. But man...give it the first chapter and you'll realize what I'm talking about. I think I'm going to have to watch a few episodes of Spongebob to wash this one off for tonight. It's not one of those books you'd stay up until three reading just to find out what happens. I mean, the story and style are addicting enough, but I really don't want my dreams tainted with the "odd"ities that this book entails. It's a daytime reader.

I finally got John Green and David Levithan's new book.

I completely intended to use this blog post to update you on the incredible dining experience I had on the way home from Lancaster. But this post is already lengthening ominously and I suppose I'll have to sum it up quick.

Starving was the key word for the three of us in the car. The Australian guy on the GPS decided to lead us into tarnation and away from all potential eateries that merited more than half a star. Being the adventurous travelers that we are, we bypassed the shady places and headed for clearer water. But we paid dearly for it in hours. And then, smack dab in the middle of eternity was this little brick diner. And there were only a few cars, which normally would indicate a low popularity, but for some reason (as was indicated by the squeal of the tires as we spun on a dime into the parking lot) we knew this place had class.

And boy did it ever. I'm talkin' booth seating, REAL plants in the window sills, cinnamon butter for the rolls, the fact that there were complimentary rolls at all, fast service, good food all topped of with peanut butter cake. Not to mention the clean state of the bathrooms (see previous post for significance) and the way the radio seemed to play all of my favorites from the 90s and my childhood that I had forgotten existed.

It all reminded me of just the way our God is. We were starving and so I imagine a less than stellar serving experience would've suited us just fine. But in the middle of nowhere we found our Ritz when we weren't even trying.

No comments: