Saturday, August 7, 2010

It has come to my attention that I am boring.

Perhaps I should have realized this earlier given my all-too-usual response to requests to hang out. That would be "No" in case you were wondering. It would seem that I should be concerned about this rare phenomenon in a person my age. I think it did bother me somewhere toward the end of my college career but then I got over it.

Surprise time. I actually quite enjoy being boring. Not to say I don't enjoy my friends and spending time with them. I don't think I would enjoy being a hermit all the time. But I am saying that I can't deny that empty boxes on my social calendar makes me happier than the alternative. And most of my friends seem to feel the same way. Take for example, Laura and I last summer in the apartment. A good day was looking for cheap furniture at the thrift store and spending the rest of the day watching whole SEASONS of Bones. But Laura was even more adventurous than I.

Maybe it's because I spent most of college sitting on my bed doing homework and reading. People always click their tongues in disgust or apologize at my cruel lot when I tell them about that. But, surprise again...I enjoyed it.

I think it comes down to the fact that God makes people differently. Most red-blooded humanoids would find my existence mundane and comparable to prison-life. Well, Shawshank, here I come. God made me this way, and I can't help it.


Disclaimer: by no means do I live my life in a way that resembles Shawshank. Whittling chess pieces out of stones you find in the fenced yard may be an interesting and invigorating hobby, but I'll stick to reading and studying monarch butterflies in the safety of my own home.

2 comments:

Vie said...

Honey Child, you are anything but boring! I love your blog.

Liz said...

Aww, thanks Vie :) :)