Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bad Books and Deep Dreams

And Abundant Allileration, apparently. *har har* This may be a post on the short side due to my roommate's eagerness to continue watching "The Empire Strikes Back." But I'm proud of her. Oh, another nerd is in the making.


I was reading my book for Children's lit today and stumbled across a title that sounded familiar. It was Tenderness by Robert Cormier. I remember checking that book out of the library in high school on a "let's read a lot of books" campaign because it had a cool looking cover. It was hardcover and completely black with the title: Tenderness glowing bright blue across the front. I was drawn in like a moth to a bug zapper. And that was about all the good it did me too.

No offense, Robert...but that was disgusting. I looked it up on Amazon and read a portion of it really quick to see if it was indeed, the book that had freaked me out in high school.


It was. And I still think it's disgusting. Man. So it didn't surprise me when I looked up what else Robert has written and found another book that made me shake my head in disdain in high school: I am the Cheese. Yeah, that was an all time low for me.


I know some of these authors are shooting for realism. But, I'll take good morals and a happy ending anyday over those books. man alive. Psychotic main characters and questionable material is not what the youth of America needs.


First of all, we all obviously need Jesus. And second of all - it's like what Samwise Gamgee said: "There's good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth writing about." I think that's what he said. If not, it should be.


Also...there is a desire in me that's been growing quite steadily throughout the hours of today. I really want a fish. I mean, badly.


That is all. Continue with your lives.


1 comment:

Rebekah said...

CHOOCHOO LAVERNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe you could get a choochootwo!

I'm Rebekah Anwyll and I approved this message.